Monday, November 3, 2008

It's Good to Have Friends

When I was little, I was playing with some neighborhood kids from my church. There were about ten of us running around but I only knew two of them. What I remember most was the older brother of one of the girls. He was probably only 12. He was tall and dark-headed and had the kindest eyes.

We were running through an empty lot that had tall grass. The wind was blowing little hay-colored seeds all around us. Pigtails were flying. The boys were all carrying baseball bats and gloves.

As I ran to catch up, one of the seeds got into my eye. It stung and my eye watered. I couldn't get it out. The older brother stopped and turned back to me when he saw that I wasn't with the rest of the group. He gently pulled my hair out of my face and bent down to look in my eye. As easily as he could, he helped me get the seed out of my eye. Then he rubbed his thumb under my eye to wipe away the tears.

I couldn't have been more than 8 and I have always remembered how nice that kid was. We should all have friends who will take the seeds out for us.

1 comment:

  1. What a touching story, I would have laughed and pointed at you and called you a whiny little girl!!! Just kidding! You should find that kid and marry him! At least one of us will still have that right :)

    ReplyDelete