Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Interview with a Wanna-Be

Q- So, how did you get started writing?
A- With a pencil and a pack of wide-ruled paper. Dad kept my first novel. I wrote it when I was 8.

Q- Why didn't you start your writing as a career after college?
A- Because you can't make any money at it.

Q- Why do it now?
A- Cause if I wait any longer, I'll die. Seriously, at some point in our lives we look in the mirror and realize that if we don't go after what we really want, then we'll never do it. We'll always do the safe thing and what our parents want but does that make us happy? Happy isn't about money; it's about fulfillment. Writing makes me feel whole. If I can make a difference with it also, then that makes it all the better.

Q- What do you hope to accomplish?
A- Words on paper Man, words on paper. No, really, I think we should all chase dreams because we love them not because they'll make us money. We should work to live not live to work.

Q- What are you working on now?
A- A romance between an abused woman and her former husband's college friend. The crux of the novel is about trauma therapy that helps rape and abuse victims but also those with post traumatic stress disorder. I don't put a lot of stock in therapy, per se, but I do think Prolonged Exposure Therapy is one of the most effective out there. It's evidence-based which means there are studies to show it works. I've seen Vietnam Veterans who've been through it finally be able to eat in a crowded restaurant without their backs to the wall. It's amazing. If I can get anyone to this therapy through my book, then I'll feel like I actually made a difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment